SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#189192 - 05/31/02 12:55 AM Solton MS50 gives a "Keyboardnot Avaliable" message when turned on...
gilwe Offline

Does anybody know what the problem is and how to solve it ?

#189193 - 06/01/02 04:14 AM Re: Solton MS50 gives a "Keyboardnot Avaliable" message when turned on...
Roel Offline

Hi,
This could be everything ! e.g. :

Electronic circuit defects,
connectors with bad contacts,
Broken (flat)cables,

Sometimes it's important to know WHEN the error occurred for the first time :
After bad weather with lighting ?
Did your keyboard fall or was it hit by mechanical violence ?
Did another accident happen e.g. fluids (drinks) to you keyboard ?

The best thing is to visit your dealer and let him find out what is wrong.

Roel

#189194 - 06/01/02 08:10 AM Re: Solton MS50 gives a "Keyboardnot Avaliable" message when turned on...
gilwe Offline

Thanks.

I bought it second hand so I have no idea what has happened to it before the problem occured. But it does looks like it had a very hard work before.

The keyboard sometime starts with the error message and sometime it boots up just fine.

I guess it is a bad connection as if it was a dead part it would have not coming up at all.... Do you know any site ot forum for technical keyboard issues (repair) ?

Thanks !

#189195 - 06/01/02 08:36 AM Re: Solton MS50 gives a "Keyboardnot Avaliable" message when turned on...
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Gilwe, if you feel like you could open the keyboard and check all the connections, maybe using (sparcely) a bit of anti-oxidant spray.
Good luck,
Andrea

#189196 - 06/01/02 10:28 AM Re: Solton MS50 gives a "Keyboardnot Avaliable" message when turned on...
Roel Offline

OK You did not write it sometimes does startup fine without any trouble. As Andrea wrote you could open de MS50 and check all connections. Use a little 'power' to push the connectors and IC's firmly on place.
You should first check the flatcable from the keyboard-circuit to the mainboard.... because sometimes it just isn't there (for the processor)

Be sure you disconnect the power chord before you start opening/exploring !!

I would NOT recommend the use of spray.
Just check cables and IC's.

You always can visit me to help you out

Roel

#189197 - 06/01/02 01:56 PM Re: Solton MS50 gives a "Keyboardnot Avaliable" message when turned on...
gilwe Offline

Thanks for your support.

Well, I do some electronics repairs, and of course did check the cable connections before I had this post here.

I didn't took IC's out as I was afraid that I would break some leg of an IC - I don't have to tell you that these are almost imposible to get ...

But it seems that this where the source of the problem is...

#189198 - 06/01/02 03:38 PM Re: Solton MS50 gives a "Keyboardnot Avaliable" message when turned on...
Roel Offline

Gilwe,

Oh no ... don't take them out !! .... just make sure they are in the sockets (if they are) : Lowest position.

I used to be a service engineer for musical instruments. The best thing to do is get the technical manual and find out what causes the problems. You probably need your oscilloscope !

kind regards

Roel

#189199 - 06/02/02 05:03 AM Re: Solton MS50 gives a "Keyboardnot Avaliable" message when turned on...
gilwe Offline

Well, Roel,
if so, you may be able to help me with another keyboard I got !

It's an old Farfisa electric organ ("Lido") ...

There are 3 main sections ("conductors") for the upper manual - flutes, piano/guitars, and strings/brass.

The piano/guitars section plays 100%, but on the flutes section, the highest C# key just doesn't play at all while the F# key on the same octave play only 2 of the 4 flutes (it plays only the '16 and the '8 flutes while missing the '4 and '2). When using the strings/brass section, the same C# doesn't play at all while the same F# play but you can hear that the string sound is not "full".

I do have the schematics for the machine -

Can you give me some directions please ?

Thanks !!!

#189200 - 06/02/02 09:00 AM Re: Solton MS50 gives a "Keyboardnot Avaliable" message when turned on...
Roel Offline

Hi,
I don't know the model you mention, but important to know is how the 'switching' per key is done :
a. multiple contacts moved by a kind of strip
b. only 1 contact with electronic components to multiply them for all voices.
c. diode matrix switches

When you say 'old organ' I expect 5 or more gold- or silver plated springs or wires all moved simultaniously up/down when the key is pressed or released.
If this IS the case I expect some contacts to be defective.

In old organs the tone-generator produces only the highest tones from C to B. To get all others a simple devider-circuit is all you need. (e.g. C3 devided by 2 gives you a C2 etc.)

So your organ probably has some mechanical problems. (switches)

Roel

#189201 - 06/02/02 04:26 PM Re: Solton MS50 gives a "Keyboardnot Avaliable" message when turned on...
gilwe Offline

Thanks very much ! I'll check it out soon and report back.

#189202 - 06/03/02 02:19 AM Re: Solton MS50 gives a "Keyboardnot Avaliable" message when turned on...
gilwe Offline

I checked it out, there is only one spring per key and it work fine on all of them ...

must be a defective part on that divider circuit ... is there a single divider circuit for each of the 4 ocatves ? if so the defect must be somewhere on the 4th (highest) octave divider circuit ...

Moment ! if there was a problem on the devider circuit so all highest C# tones wouldn't play ... remember there the note IS played on the piano/guitar section ... Is this preumpion correct or should we still presume the problem is on the divider ?

What do you think ?

#189203 - 06/03/02 01:15 PM Re: Solton MS50 gives a "Keyboardnot Avaliable" message when turned on...
Roel Offline

Hi again,
The symptoms you describe do NOT fit into a 'deviderproblem' diagnose.
If a devider does not work, the lower tones do not work and most of the time the highest ones do. (e.g. 1" and 2")

Without the schematics it is hard to help you out.....they are needed for further analysing..... I'm sorry !

Roel

#189204 - 06/04/02 01:23 AM Re: Solton MS50 gives a "Keyboardnot Avaliable" message when turned on...
gilwe Offline

Thanks !

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online